Basic use of DTD Hs:
- Water supply
- Recipient of used water
- Recipient of water from neighboring countries
- Tourism and recreation
Maintenance and functioning of DTD Hs is funded from the Budget water fund:
- Drainage fee
- Water facility and system use fee
- Water resource use fee
- Bačka 550,000 ha
- Banat 510,000 ha
Total: 1,060,000 ha
- from Serbian territory 1,060,000 ha
- from Hungarian territory 159,000 ha
- from Romanian territory 285,000 ha
DTD hydro system intakes 326 m³/s, of which:
- In Bačka 156 m³/s
- In Banat 170 m³/s
Area available for irrigation from DTD Hs is 510, 000 ha, of which:
- In Bačka 210,000 ha 84 m³/s
- In Banat 300,000 ha 120 m³/s
Length of canal waterways is 600,6 km:
- in Bačka 355,5 km
- in Banat 245,1 km
Navigation of cargo vessels of 1000 t capacity is currently possible on 345,3 km, vessels of up to 500 t capacity can navigate on 558,3 km and vessels of up to 200 t capacity can navigate on 600,6 km.
There are around 30 unloading locations:
- Public docks
- Specialized docks
- Docks with landfills
Possible annual traffic in navigable canals of DTD Hs is around 7,000,000 t.
In the last few years, total traffic was around 1,000,000 t and the highest noted traffic was in 1979 and it made 4,213,000 t.
Type of goods:
Gravel and sand—80%, stone—5%, agricultural products 1–2%, wood 3–5%; coal, metals, oil and oil derivatives—up to 10%.
For technological purposes, DTD Hs currently provides water supply for 11 industrial plants.
Total annual amount of water intake is 4,375,000 m³, of which:
- ŠAJKAŠKA — Sugar factory, Žabalj
- DRENOVA – DREN, Crvenka
- CRVENKA — Sugar factory, Crvenka
- HINS — Chemical plant, Novi Sad
- Oil refinery, Novi Sad
- HIPOL — Chemical plant, Odžaci
- BAČKA — Sugar factory, Crvenka
- VITAL — Vegetable oil refinery, Vrbas
- JEDINSTVO — Sugar factory, Kovačica
- ALMEKS, Zrenjanin
- TERMOELEKTRANA–TOPLANA, Zrenjanin
- TE–TO, Senta
Numerous industrial plants which used to intake water from DTD Hs canals are currently in transformation process, thus they do not intake water. However, they have intake structures.